Midday: Dovizioso currently P1 as Qatar Test begins
Italian sits less than a tenth ahead of Viñales as the Bologna factory test radical ride height adjuster on Day 1
After completing 19 laps so far, Ducati Team’s Andrea Dovizioso currently tops the timesheets at the Official MotoGP™ Qatar Test with a 1:55.557. Maverick Viñales (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) sits P2 with just six laps on the board, with fellow Yamaha man Franco Morbidelli (Petronas Yamaha SRT) completing the top three.
Support for this video player will be discontinued soon.
Qatar Test - Day 1: first laps on track
At the midpoint of the opening day in Qatar, there’s one major talking point: Ducati’s ride height adjuster. Ducati Team Manager Davide Tardozzi admitted to motogp.com that they have one fitted, which allows the riders to adjust the ride height around the lap – not just from a standing start. Keep your eyes peeled to the Desmosedicis on track and listen to what the riders and team hierarchy say on the subject in interviews posted on motogp.com.
The opening couple of hours was relatively quiet at the Losail International Circuit, with the teams deciding to wait until later in the afternoon to start doing their work. Now we’ve reached 16:30 local time in Doha, every rider bar Alex Rins (Team Suzuki Ecstar) has done at least six laps. Alex Marquez (Repsol Honda Team) crashed after running into the gravel at Turn 7, with the Spaniard also running a new front air intake during the opening stages.
Remember to tune in to After the Flag LIVE at 17:30 CET for 90 minutes of reactions and interviews, as well as checking in to motogp.com to see interviews and highlights from Day 1 at the Losail International Circuit.
Top 10 (as of 16:30 LT):
1. Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team) – 1:55.557
2. Maverick Viñales (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) + 0.056
3. Franco Morbidelli (Petronas Yamaha SRT) + 0.123
4. Fabio Quartararo (Petronas Yamaha SRT) + 0.137
5. Joan Mir (Team Suzuki Ecstar) + 0.406
6. Pol Espargaro (Red Bull KTM Factory Racing) + 0.512
7. Aleix Espargaro (Aprilia Racing Team Gresini) + 0.522
8. Valentino Rossi (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) + 0.531
9. Jack Miller (Pramac Racing) + 0.619
10. Danilo Petrucci (Ducati Team) + 0.753